Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Cutoff Times

I am not one to call people late, especially on a weeknight because I go to sleep relatively early on work nights. But often I hear people complaining about receiving calls at their homes late, past "the cut-off time".


It's past the cut-off time!!!!!!!!! Posted by Picasa

Now, unless you tell people what your cut-off time is, how the fuck is someone supposed to know? Obviously if you call someone at 3am, it's past anyone's cut-off time except those who work for fuckin' NORAD. But seriously, some people's cut-off time is 9pm, some people's are 10pm, some people's are later. How is this cut-off time determined and how is someone supposed to know when your cut-off time is? You call someone at like 9:15pm feeling that you are well within cut-off time range and you get an attitude and they say they don't like calls past 9, well, how are you supposed to know this? Also, is there a grace period? Like up to 10 minutes after the cut-off time?

There should be a space in your cell or home phone to put someone's cut-off time. As you scroll through your phone for the name and go to dial, it should remind you that you are attempting a call past the cut-off time. Ok, I am being silly, but how does one know or determine someone's cut-off time? Do kids equal like an 8pm cut-off? Does the person getting up at 4am to farm, determine a 9pm cut-off?

I wonder if cut-off times have to be on the half hour or the hour. Can you have a 9:45 cut-off? How about a 10:10? I am officially making mine 10:17pm.

What's your cut-off time and how do you make others aware of it? Has anyone ever called you past your cut-off and pissed you off? Have you ever gotten attitude for calling past another's cutoff time? I am very curious about this.

10 comments:

supplymadam said...

How about shutting off your phone at your cutoff time or changing your message to "My cut off time is...." I don't think Santa Clause has a cutoff time.If I decide there's something I left off my list you can be sure I will be calling him to remind him.
My cut off time is 9:30. If I hear Dawn on my machine you can bet I am not picking up after 9:30. I guess it depends on who I hear on my machine.

ThursdayNext said...

In the noble words of Blondie, you can call me anytime, Chaz. ;)

afromabq said...

i guess i'm not a phone talker after 9:00....i'm usually in bed reading and don't like to be bothered. although, if someone calls, i'll answer, but i won't sound bugged, i'll just be.

Jenni said...

I don't have a cutoff time...if I don't want to answer my phone, I just don't answer it. That's what voicemail is for.

So if someone gives you attitude for calling past their cutoff time tell them to chill out and shut off their phone then.

Jerks.

Unknown said...

Doesn't matter you never pick up your phone.

Jillian said...

I just do not answer it if its too late and I turn off my cell phone at night!

Heather said...

I don't have a cut off time... Whenever I don't feel like talking on the phone, I put it on vibrate or I turn it off.

There are certain people that it wouldn't matter what time it was, I would always answer. Maybe Robb is right, maybe I do make things more complicated than they have to be...

Debi said...

well...most of my friends call me whenever they feel like it, cause they are bitches! LOL....if I don't wanna talk...I just don't answer. :)

Fizzgig said...

my cut off time is whenever I don't answer it. If it's an emergency they'll leave a msg or call back, or send me a text. That is the beauty of caller ID, and texting.
When I was in school, my cutoff was 10pm. And my mom would put the smack down on anyone who tried to call me after that time.

Molly said...

I usually don't call people after 10 (other than the few exceptions), but I personally get phone calls at all hours of the day and if I don't answer then that wasn't a good time to call me. I'm usually the first person my friends call in the middle of the night when they want to talk and I usually answer...on the first ring, even.