Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Mixed Emotions

  Posted by Picasa

Today was a "ground breaking" day here in NY. Ground was broken for the new Yankee Stadium set to open in 2009. I have some very mixed emotions about this.

There is just so much history in the current Yankee Stadium. So many memories, so many historic moments, and so many generations of Yankee fans that have entered that building. It is like tearing down a museum in a way.

The new stadium will stand right next door. Parks and ballfields for little league will stand where the current stadium stands. I have an issue with that. They should enshrine that stadium. I have a hard time dealing with some kids playing t-ball on the same field that Lou Gehrig gave his famous "Luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech, where Don Larsen, David Wells, and David Cone pitched their perfect games, where Reggie hit three homers in one World Series Game, and where Roger broke the Babe's record. It just does not seem right.

Although they are keeping the traditional look, complete with monument park, and the famous outside facade, I still can't help but be sad. Today is the 58th anniversary of Babe Ruth's death, I wonder how he'd feel........

I have so many personal memories in that stadium. So many memorable games I have seen there, so many laughs with my friends and loved ones, and it is where I saw my first baseball game. It is truly a cathedral.

6 comments:

Admin said...

It's not right. But then again, neither is the Mets not winning since '86. The upside is they beat the detested BoSox to do it.

Fizzgig said...

Even though I hate sports...I don't think they can do that. People are pretty passionate about their playing fields! Hope it doesn't mess up the team's mojo or anything!

R said...

I think you need to go and take pictures and write a book that will talk about all of the history of that field! It would be talked about for many years to come!!!

Unknown said...

That’s one of the problems I have with today’s society. People get more emotional over inanimate things such as stadiums and past athletic achievements instead of real issues or real achievements…like say going to the moon. Then people want public money to fund these “programs” from programs that further human knowledge.

supplymadam said...

It's the end of an era,and hopefully the start of a new one.

Panthergirl said...

Finally catching up via RSS and had to comment here. The old stadium also contains the ashes of my ex-husband, my son's dad, that were sprinkled there surriptitiously last year. Ironic, really.