Monday, July 16, 2007

Back From Vacation!

Hello all! I am back from NC and settled in. The drive was long, but very fun! Jen and I had a great time with my brother. I have attached some pictures below. His new house is amazing. We had a lot of fun and did a lot down there. I finally got to the outer banks/Cape Hatteras...a place I have wanted to visit for a long time!

Here are some things I learned/observed on our trip:

We really get ripped off here in NY, for EVERYTHING. Whether it be for gas, for food, for housing, or whatever, we get screwed.

Outside of NY and NJ, the beaches are FREE! They actually charge $10 EACH per visit/per person here in Long Beach to just go on the beach. Crazy huh?

The states that charge road tolls have the worst roads. It is $10 to cross the Verrazano bridge here in NY, yet the roads around it are horrible. The roads down south are free, smooth, and CLEAN!!!! Makes you wonder where all the money is going up here....

I would not live in VA if you gave me a free house. I just don't like VA at ALL!!!!

I need to get satellite radio. We had it in the rental car and it was amazing.....

Speaking of rental cars, I need to buy the model we rented. It was a 2007 Charger. (see pics) This thing kicked some serious ass. This thing went 80 by just touching the gas and it was amazing on gas.....weird, huh?

On the topic of gas.....I drove 200 miles from the Outer Bank area to Raleigh using only a 1/4 of a tank......in NY I used over 1/2 a tank driving 50 miles.....congestion, congestion, congestion.....

People down south really don't hate NYers......they were very nice and welcoming everywhere.

The nightlife here in Long Beach is bigger that the nightlife in the capitol of NC...by far! Raleigh was fun...but they need to step it up a bit at night!

Everyone stays to the right on all highways and interstates from Virginia...south. we basically had our own lane (the left lane) for about 250 miles. Thanks to all that stayed out of our way! :)

Cape Hatteras and the Outer Banks are amazing.

Five straight days with Jen.........and we got along great...even though I can be annoying. :)

I did miss NY, but this trip opened my eyes up to how difficult it really is to live here. Financially it is tough, we know that. From a stress standpoint, the pace and the attitude here compared to other places is extreme. Just north of Philly, I95 becomes a speedway where highway rules, safety, and consideration of everyone else are forgotten. It is every man, woman, child, invalid, and senior for themselves from Central Jersey through the NY Metro area.

My company can't function a day without me. Enough said. I am dead tomorrow. Over 200 emails to answer and God knows what else on my desk. Within 20 minutes of leaving there on Wednesday....the phone calls started.....it is a slow death working there.

Bruce, and dogs for that matter, really have no conception of time. Although Bruce greeted me a bit more intensely than he usually does when I come home from work.....within 2 minutes it was business as usual with him.....















9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh you two are so cute! i love the pics. and i'm so glad you had a good time on your vacay.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you had a nice trip. The highways in NC are definitely kick ass, especially the speed limits. NASCAR is not all bad after all.

HA! There is NO nightlife in Raleigh, where did you end up going? There are a couple of decent places depending on the night of the week, but pretty much it is a waste of time (unless Charles Barkley is there!).

Lisa said...

Looks like you guys had a great time.The house looks really nice.
How fitting a lighthouse in the background.

Jennifer said...

It was a fantastic trip! You are crazy...you never get annoying, except when you are actively trying to be annoying to tease me ("charger, charger, charger"), so that doesn't count! hahaha!

Fizzgig said...

I agree with you about VA. My mom and sister live there, and I don't even like visiting for free. There are so many people, everyone is rude, and they all drive like assholes.
I love the Carolinas!! Looks like a good time!

Unknown said...

UUU still love the big light house....did you eat sausage there too?????

Christie E. Little said...

I am coast Va right on the water. That's about the only good thing about this hick of a state. I can't stand it, either!!!! I am lucky and only have to live here for another 2 years! (got to love the military.) The people are just not nice here and there are too many damn trees. however..I'm at least lucky with the water and beach outside my back door. :)

However, you did drive right through my area on your way down. :)

Christie E. Little said...

oh yeah...soooo glad you and J had a fabulous time!

Darcey said...

Ahhh, I know that view from the lighthouse all too well -- CB and I have a few pictures from up there at Memorial Day! (I'm sure it was much more humid and cramped in the stairwell than May.)

I loved OBX, too (we stayed up in Nags Head), but THEY need to get a nightlife...

Glad you had fun! Though I still maintain you should've come a little father south to Atlanta -- that's the place to be for Southern Nightlife! :)