Monday, July 09, 2007

Back From One Break....


And almost ready for another! Hey everyone. I am back from a very nice and long five day July 4th weekend. It was great! Here's a recap:

Tuesday Night Jen and I went to dinner here in town to kick off the weekend. After dinner, we got ice cream and went to visit my old neighbor Mario. He is 78 and lives with his handicapped daughter. I miss living across the street from him! Anyway, Jen and I brought him and his daughter ice cream and we sat with them and talked for a few hours. Mario broke out all his old pictures of when he was young and worked on a cruise ship, pictures from Italy when he was a boy, and dozens of others. I find his experiences and his perspective of the world very interesting. He was so surprised and happy to see us.

On Wednesday the 4th, Jen and I got up and did our run. It was hot and humid! We then played beach volleyball with one of my roomies and her friends. It was interesting playing volleyball in a sustained 40MPH wind and in a steady rain...but it was fun! We then went back to my house for a bbq and played some cards and hung out.

The rest of the weekend consisted of trips to Queens, cooking dinner together, a night on the town on Friday, TWO very nice bbq's. One of which is featured in the picture above. That is Jen and I at my friend Christina's bbq this past weekend. The weekend also featured the Live Earth Concert, Yankee Oldtimers' Day, shuffling our pets around and getting them ready for our trip on Thursday. Bruce will be staying at my neighbor's house where he spends his days and where he spent the weekend. Alice (Jen's cat) is already out east at her parent's house.

Thursday, I will be yet another year older..... (sobbing) We will be driving down to Raleigh, NC to visit my brother and my parents. We rented a cool car and we are looking forward to the long drive together. I am a HUGE fan of road trips. So, I couldn't think of a better way to spend it, with Jen and going to see my brother who shares a birthday with me....should be a fun time...

So, in the interim....I (and we) have lots to do. Packing, laundry, shopping, and everything in between. I am looking forward to getting out of NY for a bit.....the change of scenery will be good.

I hope you all had a great 4th and a fun weekend! I will check in tomorrow and Wednesday before our trip!

5 comments:

Christie E. Little said...

Plan the music! Road trips, as you know, are the greatest with the music. Ok. Now I feel you on the another year older. UGH. I, too, hit that in June. I just don't worry about it though and I went and bought some great Eye Cream! LOL. Let me know if you need the name of it. It's a miracle worker. With my Irish skin and freckles (only my younger two got the tanning ability from the Italian side) I'm a face moisturizer whore. Ok...well you get what I mean. LOL!
xoxo
C

Jennifer said...

That is a perfect summary of a perfectly summery break! I can't wait to have another vacation by the end of the week. I'll never tire of spending summer days (or any day) off with you! We will miss Bruce and Alice, but the open road awaits! Your birthday will be an adventure!

Lisa said...

Oh I so looooove road trips too. It's been awhile but we drove to Florida a few times. Oh okay last year it was just before Albany.
So nice of you to visit Mario.
I didn't know you and your brother shared a birthday. You hid that well.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a relaxing/fun holiday.

Enjoy the road trip and try to avoid picking up a Southern Drawl while you are in NC. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you in Raleigh :-)

Fizzgig said...

Ahh, you guys look cute together! Sounds like a fun vacation! I bet playing volleyball in the rain was a blast! Enjoy the road trip, it sounds like an adventure!