Wednesday, July 12, 2006

An Old Familiar Voice

  Posted by Picasa

Here on July 12th another birthday will pass, and so will another MLB All-Star Game. The All Star game falls either ON my birthday or the day before or after it each year. The All-Star game was a big deal for me and my friends when I was a little C-Mac. I remember watching Reggie Jackson, Andre Dawson, Fred Lynn, Jim Rice, Dave Parker, and dozens of other players take part in the mid-summer classic each year back in the late 70's and 80's.

My dad often told stories of gathering around the radio as a child to listen to big games or big events. In 1952 he heard "the shot heard 'round the world" on a crisp October Day back when "The Giants won the pennant, the Giants won the pennant." Today at work, I heard radio commercials for tonight's All-Star game to be shown on FOX. Joe Buck, an announcer for FOX did the commercial. I couldn't help but think of his call of the 1996 Yankees World Championship, or his call when McGwire broke Maris' record back in '98. Certain radio or TV voices bring me back in time just like a song does.

Everytime I hear Vin Scully's voice I think of October 25th, 1986 when "The ball gets by Buckner, here comes Knight and the Mets win the ballgame!!!!" It's hard not to associate these voices with these events.

Most of the time on my drive to and from work, I listen to my cd's. But some days, I will put on sports radio and listen to some familiar voices like Michael Kay, or Mike and the Mad Dog. They almost make you feel like you are with someone in the car because you've listened to them for so long.

When Peter Jennings passed away, it was like losing a 6th family member. After all, he was in our home growing up with us each night after dinner. That voice brings back memories of so many happy events, yet such tragic events that took place in the world as well.

When I was a kid, before my teenage years when I was allowed to have a TV in my room, I had this Mickey Mouse radio that my Grandpa gave me. Each night, I would sneak it in my bed, turn it up just enough to hear Phil Rizzuto and Bill White announce the Yankees game. Once in a while, I'd get caught and the radio would be taken away for a night because they did not want me staying up late on a school night. Oh the memories.

On days like this, when I am dazed and confused about life and decisions I have made, it is nice to turn to a familiar voice...a constant if you will, that will be there for me to give me some sense of normality.

What "voice" is most familiar to you, that takes you back in time?

9 comments:

Christie E. Little said...

We're the same age, so I agree completely on the Peter Jennings loss. He was the news.

I also love it when I go back to my parents and flip through the channels. The channels may be different, but the voices are the same. I remember the mornings when my mom was home in the summer and we'd watch AM Los Angeles with Regis! That's right. Regis was the man back in the day...and still today. Hmmmm I could go on..but I'll stop.
Happy Birthday.

ThursdayNext said...

In the spirit of this post and the game tonight, I would say Tim McCarver. He did Kiner's Korner on Channel 9 for the Mets games during the mid-1980's. Though I love the Yanks, my grandfather and father took me to Shea or watched the games on TV. My grandpa would always reiterate, "he knows the most about baseball!" He makes me think of my grandpa.

Happy Birthday.

Last Girl On Earth said...

That's strange. That's the second time today I've read about Peter Jennings. I totally agree with you that he will be a voice that will be missed.

Barbara Walters... now THERE'S a voice you can't forget!

Happy Birthday, C-Man!

LAST GIRL ON EARTH

Fizzgig said...

Paul Harvey. Lol. He is always on at noon here, he has a very distinct voice, and words of wisdom! It reminds me of my dad cus he always listened to talk radio.

afromabq said...

happy b-day charlie! hope you have an awesome day.

i like charlie gibson myself.

Darcey said...

Mine would also have to be my grandmother's. She had such a distinctive way of saying "Hello" when she answered the phone. That, and the Dutch accent that flavored everything she said... actually, just thinking about it and hearing it in my head brings tears to my eyes from how much I miss her.

Happy B-Day, sunshine. :)

supplymadam said...

I agree with Mon. Paul Harvey.
Good day!

R said...

Happy Birthday cmac!

Marie said...

This was an awesome post. Being a Dodgers fan still, I enjoy hearing Vin Sculley broadcasting the games. :)

This comes a bit late, but Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful year.