Thursday, July 06, 2006

Garnishes

  Posted by Picasa

I never understood the purpose of a garnish. You don't eat it, it is just supposed to make your food seem more appetizing. You find most garnishes at restaurants that are more "pricey" which I don't quite get. The food at fancier restaurants is usually good and does not need something to make it more appealing. Perhaps Burger King or McDonald's should try a garnish.....

Look at this picture. I had a grilled cheese and fries today and they felt the need to garnish it with pineapple and tomato which was impaled on a toothpick. Why? I was going to eat the sandwich regardless. To me, it is just a waste of fruit and veggies. This particular establishment could cut costs dramatically by cutting out the extra fruit and veggie expense for their garnishes. Right?

Why do they only give you a lemon slice if you order a diet coke? Maybe regular coke drinkers would like a lemon slice as well.....fuckos.

The other night I had some of Tiny A's homemade key lime pie. It was delicious and I inhaled the first slice. She asked if I wanted more and I said of course! She went in the kitchen where I followed, and she proceeded to cut me another slice, she put whipped cream on it, then she was actually cutting a lime slice to garnish it with. I had to laugh, one because she is so cute, but mostly because I was going to inhale that second piece without even noticing that garnish......

What's your take on garnishes?

7 comments:

supplymadam said...

If the garnishes look good then I'll go for it. The curly carrots are good if they're fresh. Besides you think they rotate garnishes?

Admin said...

I eat the garnish unless it's kale. Even when I'm not supposed to, say, on a dessert buffet, where the cakes and pies are artfully arranged among mountains of grapes and walnuts in the shell, I'll break off a few grapes, swipe a few walnuts, and leave the cake and pie for someone else.

There are no nutcrackers nor grape snippers, but plenty of cake/pie slicer/servers. Kinda tells you what they want you to eat. No matter--I can crack the walnuts with my bare hands, so that's not a problem. Besides, who's going to stop me?

ThursdayNext said...

*Giggle*
Chaz, I always want to give you 100%. And that includes garnishes!

Christie E. Little said...

It's all about the pretty! Even for those who the pretty is lost on, it's still looking pretty.

Of course Tiny A put the the whipped cream and little lime on for you. It's soooo her and I've never met her..lol.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

hey charlie! i was in your neck of the woods last friday and so thought about finally meeting up with you. but i ain't got your number, boy. lol. maybe next time.

Darcey said...

Besides presentation, garnishes are traditionally used to indicate to the recipient what flavors to expect in their meal. Ex: I served CB dinner last week and made fish that was baked with lemon butter & terragon - so my garnish on top was a curl of lemon peel wrapped around a sprig of terragon.
Of course, that doesn't explain the tomato/pineapple combination with your grilled cheese...

The Diva ♥ said...

i have to tell ya they put garnishes on your food that they found from others peoples plates who didn't eat their pineapples or tomatoes.