Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Here's A Tip............

  Posted by Picasa

Have you noticed lately that you can't back out of your driveway without having to tip someone? Everywhere you go now, whether it be for a morning coffee, an afternoon snack, a dry cleaner, or an ice cream there is a tip jar staring you in the face. I am sympathetic that the minimum wage has not been raised in a decade, but enough is enough!

You put a jelly doughnut in a bag and handed it to me......should I sign over my paycheck? I just don't understand why people feel they should be rewarded for doing their jobs.

Perhaps it is just a NY thing, but the garbage men here won't go out of the way to take bulk items, even on the designated day that you are supposed to put out those items, without offering up a bribe. They seriously will leave an old mattress, an old couch, etc., curbside unless you are waving money when they arrive. I even remember when I was a kid, my grandfather making friends with the garbage men by bringing them tips, cases of beer, cold drinks in the summer etc. After all those nice gestures, my grandfather could have put a body out on the curb and they would have taken it with no questions asked!

Tipping has become so frequent, I am not even sure who is REALLY supposed to get a tip anymore. The cable guy comes to install a cable box...tip or no tip? Or does a cold soda suffice? Does the person have to break a sweat to warrant a tip? What are the tipping guidelines? All I know is that I am all tipped out.....

I am going to try a tip cup on my desk tomorrow and see how that flies.

6 comments:

supplymadam said...

"my grandfather could have put a body out on the curb and they would have taken it with no questions asked!"
That is hysterical.
I just read in a magazine at the doctors office who to tip and how much at the holidays. There was like a list of about 25 people although the doorman didn't apply to me but garbage men weren't on that list.
Every year our garbage men give us a card with 3 names on it.Like each one of them should get something. Can you believe our paper carrier mails out a letter actually asking for a holiday tip? Plus we get a card to from the mail carrier. It's just gotten so ridiculous. I think it's a NY thing too because my anunt and uncle live in TN and the only on they tip is the haircutter and my aunt gives a 3.00 tip for a cut and color.
That's it,I'm moving out of state.

Anonymous said...

good idea! i want a tip cup. i think i'm going to attach one to my chest that way when every moron on earth feels like he can feel me up without asking, he'll have to leave some money first.

yeah. that doesn't sound too good. lol.

Christie E. Little said...

Ok..you did it. I'm going to put a tip cup in the kitchen. The next time the kids want three different breakfasts or lunches...even dinners from each other, I'm going to point to the tip jar. Why not!

Seriously..I do tip two people. I tip the mailman at Christmas because he is wonderful to me. He walks packages up to my house, smiles, and if it's raining he'll run it to the house so I don't have to go down the path. He's a sweet man. Also...My paper guy gets a little tip, too. He always gets me my paper...rain shine or snow. He gets it all the way up my driveway too. He's sweet. He even triple bags on the rain days. :)
xoxo
C

Fizzgig said...

uh, yea, tipping sucks. I'm the worst tipper in history. Mostly because I'm bad at math, or at least that's my excuse. I tip my hair stylist way more than I tip a server. And I never tip people who work behind a counter. Why? I worked 4 freaking years slinging tacos and the best tip I got was that drunk people are assholes when they are hungry.

celerman said...

In England we don't really do tipping very well. The English are very uncomfortable with money. At restaurants the tip is usually included in the bill. It's rare to offer tips anywhere else. You might say to a taxi driver, "keep the change" but that would only be so that you don't ruin your suit trouser pockets with shrapnel (change). We do have a tradition of leaving binmen (garbagemen) something at Christmas, at least I remember my mum doing that. I don't bother - bah humbug.

That'll be 5 bucks please.

Panthergirl said...

Oh man, when a friend of mine came to visit from Australia he wouldn't shut up about the whole tipping thing here.

Now, I'm in agreement about a lot of the ridiculous tipping that goes on (I mean truly...pick up the body without a tip already). But this guy bitched about tipping in restaurants, cabs, you name it.

I get the logic...why should we have to supplement the incomes of people who work in places where they are underpaid? (Restaurants are the prime example...waiters can get LESS than minimum wage! What's up with that?).

But when it comes to MOST tip-worthy situations, I'm a big tipper. Nah, I'm not that magnanamous...I'm just scared they'll spit in my food next time. ;)

Merry Christmas and all that jazz, toots.