Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Sunday Classic


No not today's GIANT upsets in the NFL! The Sunday Classic we all came to love and enjoy years ago. American Top 40 with Kasey Kasem!

Do you remember waking up and knowing it was Sunday morning because you would roll over, push the on button on your "boombox" radio and there was Kasey Kasem saying, "Now, on with the countdown." Where was your favorite song going to end up? Did Madonna make it to number one again? The suspense was just too much some weeks.

Well, after sleeping in late and watching my Sunday Morning political shows "Meet the Press" and the McLaughlin Group in bed with Jen, we ventured into the living room and kitchen to prepare breakfast. As Jen sliced fruit for our fruit salad and I toasted a bagel and set the table, I flipped on the XM Satellite radio that Jen bought me for Christmas...and to our surprise, Kasey Kasem was just starting the top 40 countdown. They play the actual countdowns from when they aired. Today's was the second week of January, 1983. As we sat and ate breakfast, it brought back soooooo many memories. I mean Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" just breaking the top 40 at number 37! Who knew how big that song would be and how it would propel "Thriller" into one of the best selling albums in history? It was surely a trip down memory lane.

I remember listening to those countdowns with my sister and brother each week. We'd have our "blank cassettes" loaded in the cassette decks of our radios to start recording a song we "didn't have on tape" yet. You could get a bunch of good ones from those countdowns...even if Kasey talked through the opening line of the song....

I can also remember being upset when a song I didn't like made it to #1! I remember Kenny Roger's song "Lady" being number one for something like 10 or 12 straight weeks....and I wasn't a fan of him or that song.....and I would be upset that he blocked one of my favorite songs from being number one......if only that were all I had to worry about these days.....

Hearing the countdown this morning brought back memories while Jen and I shared childhood stories as we had breakfast. It was definitely a treat.

So tonight, "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars".

6 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Oh my I loved Kasey Kasem...I loved the letters that came in; 99% always requested a Journey song of some sort it seemed! I am so jealous that you have XM and can listen!

kcterrilynn said...

There's a radio station here in Denver as well that plays the original shows on Sunday mornings. It's awesome!!

Jennifer said...

When you were outside they played "Do you really want to hurt me" by Culture Club...can't wait to hear what year they do next Sunday!

supplymadam said...

You didn't want to be someone's night in shining armor?
You are upset the Giants beat Dallas?
How about the Chargers beating the Colts?

Fizzgig said...

how fun is that? What channel was it on? I have some XM channels on my satellite!

Charlie Mc said...

Mon, it is on channel 8...the 80's on 8!