Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Selling Out



Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. A person who does this, as opposed to following the original path s/he laid (or claimed to lay) out for him/herself, is labeled a sellout and regarded with disgust and immediate loss of respect. Selling out is seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility.

I can be called a lot of things. Cynical, moody, jaded, impatient, sarcastic, and intense are just a few. I would agree with all of those. A sell out, never! For those of you who really know me, you know that I am a person who is passionate about what I believe in and would never stray from my convictions for personal gain. People who do that really bother me.....and I see it daily, whether it be on the news or in my day to day dealings. Being a "sell out" is what's wrong with the world, and what's especially wrong in America.

Politicians sell out for campaign contributions/favors/etc. They put the best interests of the people they are supposed to represent after their own personal gain and success. You see it every day. Selling out is the reason we still depend on foreign oil, the reason our infrastructure is crumbling, the reason we have a shitty health care system, I could go on and on.

This week, I was faced with a tough decision at my job. Rather than agree to a position within the company where I had the potential to make an additional $20-$25k per year, I chose to remain where I am. The reason, I wasn't going to sell out. The person/people I would have been working for/with I genuinely don't like. I don't like their approach to business, the way they treat others... both personally and professionally, and quite honestly...their character. The industry I work in is large...but in the same sense, it is small. You always run into someone who knows someone you know, etc. And, despite a very big financial gain personally if I had accepted this position....I did not want my name to be associated with theirs. I don't want to run into someone a year from now, when perhaps I am seeking employment elsewhere, who associates me with them. My name and my character are more important than $25k. I am at peace with my decision. I'll leave you with this:

Now if you're feelin' kinda low 'bout the dues you've been paying
Future's coming much too slow
And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin'
Can't decide on which way to go

I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Now you're climbin' to the top of the company ladder
Hope it doesn't take too long
Can't you see there'll come a day when it won't matter?
Come a day when you'll be gone

I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, take a look ahead

Now everybody's got advice they just keep on givin'
Doesn't mean too much to me
Lot's of people out to make believe they're livin'
Can't decide who they should be.

I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, take a look ahead. Look ahead


4 comments:

supplymadam said...

Wow that was very cool of you not to "sell out"
I vote for C-Mac!
Good song for the post!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I cant believe you are a Republican now!!!!!

ThursdayNext said...

Good for you, Charlie! I respect that more than anything else. If I had stayed teaching and around my colleagues, I would be a sell out because they were all such awful people. Bravo to you...