Sunday, January 06, 2008

Battling Winter



As I sit here at 9:51PM on Sunday January 6th, 2008 with "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd blasting into my ears from my IPOD....I realize that the holidays are over and we all have a 90 day battle against winter ahead of us. Some call it the "post holiday blues" being that we really have "nothing to look forward to" until Spring...especially if you live in a region of the country where it snows/it is cold.

I truly take this time each year to focus on things. I probably run/exercise the most and eat the healthiest from January-March each year. Although the treadmill is a complete bore compared to running on the beach/boardwalk...I find inspiration in seeing the determination of others at the gym. On the boardwalk or beach, you run past someone or they run past you...and you really don't get to see their efforts, or struggle if you will. When you spend 60 minutes running 2 feet away from someone else....you quietly inspire one another.

Coming down from the high of the holidays is tough on a lot of people....my advice....spend this "down time" getting your "house" in order...so that come the Spring...when "hibernation" is over, you'll be at your finest both mentally and physically. Spring isn't as far away as everyone may think...time goes rather quickly...make the most of it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope your 2008 is off to a good start C-Mac!

Enjoy the treadmill running, ugh it is the bane of my existence, I long for the return of light in the evenings and running outdoors!

Darcey said...

Did I tell you about my crazy idea to become a marathon runner by the end of the year? (Not as a NY Resolution, mind you... just a general goal set at the end of '07).
Yes, the crazy I tell you... especially since now, just cranking out 3 miles without a break is a difficult challenge.

Fizzgig said...

i get the inspiring one another being out in the real world working out....but, they don't have tivo in the real world! I'm addicted to jogging while watching my programs, it's my personal inspiration!

supplymadam said...

Good advice while hibernating. Love the Rocky pic!
Love my yoga! Hate my excersize bike but I do it anyway.