Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"Band On The Run"

  Posted by Picasa

Those of you who know me well, know that I could talk music for days on end. I love the stories behind albums, songs, and musical artists. In the spirit of The Beatles and of the anniversary of John Lennon's death this coming Friday, I am in a musical mood. I heard today that "Band on the Run" the solo album by Paul McCartney was released on this day in 1973. Although I was a baby, I can honestly remember hearing these songs when I was a toddler. The album really took off in the summer of '74, when I was three, so I guess it is possible to remember back that far.

What is so amazing about this album? The events leading up to it's release. In September of '73 Paul decided to take the band to civil war torn Nigeria to record the album. Paul, his wife Linda, and the other band members arrived in Lagos Nigeria to record the album. Right before its production, two band members walked out in fear of their lives. Paul, Linda, and one band member carried on despite the turmoil. After the demo tapes were done, Paul and the band were robbed by armed bandits who stole their demo tapes, cameras, wallets, jewelry, etc.

So what did Paul do? The genius that he is, said no problem, and remembered everything he recorded in his head. He then went on to record the album all over again in a decaying studio. Despite these hardships, perhaps because of them, Band on the Run remains the most focused and consistently satisfying record of McCartney's post-Beatles career. So in the spirit of Paul, and December 5th, 1973, its release date, let's all watch "Band On the Run."

3 comments:

old man neill said...

i gotta go back and listen to it with "new ears". i had no idea that was the backdrop.

supplymadam said...

I just loved Wings. I get goosebumps whenever I hear Wings songs. I love,love,love Paul McCartney. Thanks for another great tune.

Christie E. Little said...

Wings was my first concert with the parents. LOL. Yep.

Love the song. Love your stories, too.
xoxo
C