Friday, September 19, 2008

The House That Ruth Built 1923-2008


It is a sad weekend here in the NY area. The last game at Yankee Stadium will take place Sunday Night at 8pm. I've known for over a year that this was it for Yankee Stadium, but it all sunk in today. It is a place that I will miss so much. So many of my childhood memories involve the Yankees and that stadium. So many great moments have taken place in that Stadium from World Series Championships, to Papal visits, to heavyweight fights, to NFL football games.

I've been listening to callers all week on WFAN here in NY talk about their memories of the Stadium. Some involve seeing their first baseball game at Yankee Stadium, some had memories of their Fathers that have passed, some named specific moments on the field.

I will miss this place........the atmosphere, the electricity in the air, the history, and all the memories. There will never be another place like it...ever.

























































3 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Honestly, my heart has been broken for the past season for so many reasons. I miss Joe deeply, and now we lost our home in a sense. The new stadium is out of greed, plain and simple. I never wanted a new one, and I cried this week because now things will never be the same for this team. Still, I will always have my pinstripes and logo, and that is what is always in my heart. :)

supplymadam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
supplymadam said...

I was at Yankee Stadium twice. First time I was 10 with my Dad and my brother. 2 huge Yankee fans. I just remember being overwhelmed at how much different it was in person and the colors because believe it or not that was 3 years before we had a color TV.
And another time after it was re-_ done when my husband's company had a "Yankee Day" and we were late. I think we made it in the 5th inning and guess where our seats were? Smack right next to his boss. Although not many people showed up anyway.
Now my company does it right they get a sky box at Shea and have a buffet.I guess being they are located in Queens may have some influence.
At least if it rains you can still party. And you can't go unless you bring a customer.
Any chance you may a customer again Cmac?